AppVolumes and Horizon Recompose Workaround
The following is a workaround for when you are impacted by recompose loops in Horizon View and using App Volumes. VMware engineering is aware of this problem and is working on a fix. The issue discovered is when multiple AppStacks are attached to VDI desktops and a recompose is initiated. The timing between when VMDK’s are detached from a VDI desktop and when Horizon tries to execute its recompose.
On your gold image
- Copy ‘av.cmd‘ to ‘c:\Scripts\‘ on your gold image (Scripts folder is an example location but should match the path specified in image1)
- Copy ‘Prep Image for Snap.bat‘ to your gold image desktop
- Execute the batch file “Prep Image for Snap.bat” and this will power-down the VM. Once powered-down, create a snapshot for your View environment. (What the script is doing is stopping the AppVolumes service prior to you doing a snapshot once View spin’s up replicas or a refresh it starts the service.)
- Modify your View pool under ‘Guest Customization’ to include the path and filename to ‘av.cmd‘ (see Image1)
- Select OK to save settings.
You should be able to recompose/refresh now with no issues.
Special thanks to Matthew Mabis from PSO, End-user Computing for creating this solution for customers.